I had the sick 6 y/o take these pics, so my apologies for the quality (but yay him for being my photographer!)

I made this dress up last night, based sorta on the schoolhouse tunic I wore yesterday. it’s another wearable muslin (this fabric is by Darlene Zimmerman for Robert Kaufman, and is a 1930’s floral ditsy print. tiny red flowers on white. LOVE it), while I try to figure out a flattering and functional fit. It felt really shapeless (despite bust darts). I think the back is still too big, but adding a “belt” (aka a strip of batik selvage tied in the back) helped a lot, I think…


or at least it did in the mirror/my head… I need to hem the sleeves and skirt, but I think this could totally work. I’m loving the pockets and the easy nursing, and it’s the perfect amount of clothing for the mid-80’s weather we’re having.


I put a zipper in the back (an invisible one, obvi), but because of the giant slit in the front, it’s totally unnecessary, so I think I’ll take it out and just sew it shut.

I love this fabric enough that I think I’ll keep this dress and wear it a bunch, and now I think I’m ready to start sewing “real” dresses…

Oh, and I used Built-By-Wendy Dresses as my jumping off point. the shift dress, size L.


One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *