Another nursing-dress muslin

I had the sick 6 y/o take these pics, so my apologies for the quality (but yay him for being my photographer!) image

I made this dress up last night, based sorta on the schoolhouse tunic I wore yesterday. it's another wearable muslin (this fabric is by Darlene Zimmerman for Robert Kaufman, and is a 1930's floral ditsy print. tiny red flowers on white. LOVE it), while I try to figure out a flattering and functional fit. It felt really shapeless (despite bust darts). I think the back is still too big, but adding a "belt" (aka a strip of batik selvage tied in the back) helped a lot, I think...

image

or at least it did in the mirror/my head... I need to hem the sleeves and skirt, but I think this could totally work. I'm loving the pockets and the easy nursing, and it's the perfect amount of clothing for the mid-80's weather we're having.

image

I put a zipper in the back (an invisible one, obvi), but because of the giant slit in the front, it's totally unnecessary, so I think I'll take it out and just sew it shut.

I love this fabric enough that I think I'll keep this dress and wear it a bunch, and now I think I'm ready to start sewing "real" dresses...

Oh, and I used Built-By-Wendy Dresses as my jumping off point. the shift dress, size L.

 

Double -ended zippered bag

D needed a pencil bag, and was told to put pencils, erasers, and markers in them. I had this idea to make a bag that's double ended, but searching on the internet for "double-ended bag" or pouch or anything double-ended only produces boxing results.... I'm not sure if I just don't know the right search terms, or what, but I couldn't find any tutorials or patterns or images of what I wanted, so I took a deep breath, grabbed some scrap fabric, and tried out my idea....  

image

it worked! (this is the second one, of nice fabrics. the proportions were off on the first one)

image

I used scraps from the sample quilt of Don't Be Crabby by Laurie Wisbrun for RK (in stores in December)

image

see, zippers on either end.

image

D approved, and filled it with his pencils and markers quite happily

image

image

Hooray!

Tada! Here's my new bag!!!

image

(Fancy setting, right? garage door handles make great bag backgrounds)

image

somehow in the last 2 days I lost my rose fabric. Luckily last week I bought 1/2 a yard of this gorgeous Pezzy print at Sew Modern, and it was just enough for the lining, and it matches PERFECTLY. LOVE.

image

I put a zippered pocket on one side of the lining (I had to use some plain kona snow for the inside of that pocket)

image

and this side of the bag has a really simple cell phone, etc pocket. (I made 3 channels, 1 for my new cell, 1 for a pen, and 1 for keys or headphones...) I took the lining pics before I sewed the bag together, just because it's easier to photograph open like this.

image

Killian really really likes my bag. I stopped to rethread my machine, and in the minute it took me, he claimed his spot. (the industrial is RIGHT by the sunny window looking out into the front yard, so it's a popular spot for cats)

image

In case anyone is attempting to sew with leather, I highly recommend using an industrial machine with big fat nails. This pic shows a regular 80/12 needle below (which I use for sewing most everything), and the SIZE 20 (TWENTY!!!) needle that the dude at the local vac and sew place recommended... it's NOT a leather needle, it's just a HUGE FAT needle that punches RIGHT through anything. Before sewing on the handles, I checked to make sure the machine would go through 6 layers of leather, so that's the tester in the top left corner.

image

here's the finished bag, enjoying the sunshine...

Beach School Sewing, finale.

image a set of pencil bags for all the kids in one family (1 boy, 2 girls, all coordinating so they can't fight over them!)

image

beachy pot-holders

image

vintage-y potholders

image

and then just a little playing around... I was thinking of making a little bag for my new phone, but it might need to be turned into a hot-pad or something.  I really like looking at this fabric...

Tada!

Ok, so the other day, (gosh, was that just yesterday? yikes!) I showed you this sneak peak...

Here's the finished product!

It's a zip-up hoodie for D. He doesn't fit anything store bought right now, so why buy and alter when I can just make myself (out of superior materials, tailored to my boy!)

He wanted a tow truck, so I decided to make it a working truck, and put the appliques on the pockets,

I free-motion stitched "D's Towing" on it... lettering is hard!

I hand-embroidered the cream/grey chain (using a chain stitch, of course) after everything else was done... I really wanted the chain to connect(match) across the zipper....

I've never made outerwear before (I'm counting a sweatshirt as outerwear, not sportswear, but that's probably because I live in LA), and I didn't have a pattern, I drafted this one myself. (I'm not going to bore y'all with the incredibly long list of errors I made, but the next one should be doable in 1/2 the time, and with considerably less ripping of stitches!!)

It's after midnight, so I'm refraining from waking D up to make him try it on right now. Hopefully it fits and I will be able to get action shots in the am....

I also need to find my camera (I'm pretty sure it's in my husbie's car) so I can show off some other pics I took over the weekend...