Tada! Here's my new bag!!!
(Fancy setting, right? garage door handles make great bag backgrounds)
somehow in the last 2 days I lost my rose fabric. Luckily last week I bought 1/2 a yard of this gorgeous Pezzy print at Sew Modern, and it was just enough for the lining, and it matches PERFECTLY. LOVE.
I put a zippered pocket on one side of the lining (I had to use some plain kona snow for the inside of that pocket)
and this side of the bag has a really simple cell phone, etc pocket. (I made 3 channels, 1 for my new cell, 1 for a pen, and 1 for keys or headphones...) I took the lining pics before I sewed the bag together, just because it's easier to photograph open like this.
Killian really really likes my bag. I stopped to rethread my machine, and in the minute it took me, he claimed his spot. (the industrial is RIGHT by the sunny window looking out into the front yard, so it's a popular spot for cats)
In case anyone is attempting to sew with leather, I highly recommend using an industrial machine with big fat nails. This pic shows a regular 80/12 needle below (which I use for sewing most everything), and the SIZE 20 (TWENTY!!!) needle that the dude at the local vac and sew place recommended... it's NOT a leather needle, it's just a HUGE FAT needle that punches RIGHT through anything. Before sewing on the handles, I checked to make sure the machine would go through 6 layers of leather, so that's the tester in the top left corner.
here's the finished bag, enjoying the sunshine...